As the latest musical to hit the West End stage prepares to open for previews, here are five extremely good reasons why you need to see it:
1. The dancing and choreography: with plenty of room on the stage, expect fantastic dance sequences that will certainly have your toes tapping along and making you want to go on stage and tap dance to your heart’s content. In terms of choreography it isn’t easy to get a large cast as 42nd street has to tap dance away with perfect ease and style, but from the glimpse of rehearsals – it is set to be spectacular.
2. Clare Halse as Peggy Sawyer: again judging by the final technical rehearsal that Love London Love Culture attended, Clare Halse is certainly going to be one to watch in this production, incredible dancing and delivers a charming portrayal of Peggy that will surely increase in confidence as the production opens.
3. The costumes: as a show set within a show, you can certainly expect plenty of costume changes – many dazzling and sparkling which will make you want to go backstage and try them on, capturing the era and the glamour of the show perfectly. in a show dominated by female performers – prepare for lots of short skirts and sequins!
4. Sheena Easton as Dorothy Brock: making her West End debut in the production, Sheena Easton is another personality that you want to watch out for on stage. Even getting a glimpse of her performance in rehearsal, she delivers a razor sharp portrayal of diva Dorothy that will certainly delight audiences.
5. The music: of course there are many memorable songs in this award winning musical, all very spirited and jazz infused that will sweep audiences back to the 1930’s and staged with great energy and enthusiasm that will leave audiences tap dancing their way out of the theatre.
42nd Street will open for previews at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane tomorrow and is currently booking until the 22nd July 2017.