The year is rapidly coming to a close. But before it does, there are more great shows to see in the lead up to Christmas. Here is Love London Love Culture’s guide to some of the best shows opening in December 2016… Click on links to BUY tickets in the Mates Ticket Shop.
1. Buried Child, Trafalgar Studios: Now in previews, Sam Shepard’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play sees Ed Harris and Amy Madigan starring in this story set in 1979 rural America as it reels from a recession and political unrest. The show officially opens on the 1st December.
2. Once in a Lifetime, Young Vic Theatre: This production of Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman’s play will see Harry Enfield making his stage debut. In Hollywood in 1930, the first-ever talking motion picture is a smash hit and suddenly every actor needs a voice. Three New Yorkers head west to cash in on the talkies trend by opening an elocution school. Now in previews, the production directed by Richard Jones officially opens on 6 December.
3. Rent, St James Theatre: Celebrating the musical’s 20th anniversary, this production includes in its cast Layton Williams (Bad Education, Billy Elliot The Musical, Hairspray) and Lucie Jones (X Factor, Legally Blonde The Musical, Les Miserables). Following a short regional tour, the production starts previews on 8 December and officially opens on 13 December.
4. Cinderella, London Palladium: This all-star cast production sees pantomime return to the London Palladium for the first time in nearly 30 years. Starring Natasha Barnes as Cinderella, the production is directed by Michael Harrison. It opens for previews on 9 December and officially opens on 14 December.
5. Dreamgirls, Savoy Theatre: Amber Riley leads the cast in the London premiere of the musical, directed by Casey Nicholaw. Filled with big numbers, a sprinkling of glamour and a great story this is one of the most eagerly anticipated musicals of the year. It is now in previews, officially opening on 14 December.