Is it really June already? Summer is upon us. Here are a few hot show opening this month that you need to keep an eye out for… Click on links to BUY tickets in the Mates Ticket Shop.
1. Sunset at the Villa Thalia, National Theatre: This new play by Alexi Kaye Campbell stars Sam Crane, Glykeria Dimou, Elizabeth McGovern, Ben Miles, Pippa Nixon and Eve Polycarpou. Directed by Simon Godwin, the play examines what happens when a couple is seduced into making choices that have devastating consequences. Booking until 4 August.
2. The Spoils, Trafalgar Studios: Hollywood star Jesse Eisenberg brings his New York hit play to London, directed by Scott Elliott and co-starring Kunal Nayyar. Nobody likes Ben. Ben doesn’t even like Ben. He bullies everyone in his life, including his roommate Kalyan, an earnest Nepalese immigrant. When Ben discovers that his school crush is marrying a straight-laced banker, he sets out to destroy their relationship and win her back. Booking until 13 August.
3. The Go-Between, Apollo Theatre: Michael Crawford returns to the West End in this musical adaptation of the classic novel by LP Hartle. It is directed by Roger Haines, with a book by David Wood and a score by Richard Taylor. Booking until 15 October.
4. The Deep Blue Sea, National Theatre: Terence Rattigan’s classic play reunites star Helen McCrory and director Carrie Cracknell, following their critically acclaimed Medea at the National in 2014. The production also stars Tom Burke, James Alper and Marion Bailey. When Hester Collyer is found by her neighbours in the aftermath of a failed suicide attempt, the story of her tempestuous affair with a former RAF pilot and the breakdown of her marriage to a High Court judge begins to emerge. With it comes a portrait of need, loneliness and long-repressed passion. Booking until 17 August.
5. Aladdin, Prince Edward Theatre: Disney’s Broadway hit has just opened for previews on the London stage and is one of the most eagerly anticipated musicals to open this year. Based on the classic animated film, prepare to hear ‘Friend Like Me’ and ‘A Whole New World’ live! It has recently announced that it is now extending its West End run. Now booking until 11 February 2017.