Desire Lines, Edinburgh’s city-wide conversation about the cultural and creative future of Edinburgh, concludes today with the online publication of its Call to Action.
Following a lively and stimulating discussion about what makes Edinburgh a culturally successful city in Summerhall in December, a survey to gather opinion and two workshops to contribute ideas and proposals; the call to action distils this essential conversation into a series of clear aims and actions.
A spokesperson for Desire Lines said: “Desire Lines has given us the opportunity to explore perspectives and priorities for the cultural future of the city with a wide range of individuals who have Edinburgh’s best interests at heart. We have worked hard to gather and distil the thoughts and ideas of the 610 people who took part and feel confident that the document is an honest reflection of the process.”.
Topline results from the call to action include:
- articulate the positive impact of arts and culture in Edinburgh and maximise the resources available to help it thrive;
- adopt an enabling attitude to venue regulation and cultural provision throughout the year;
- support greater partnership working across the arts and culture sector enabling it to flourish year round;
- ensure that everyone has access to world class arts and cultural provision;
- invest in artists’ development, and support and sustain the local artistic community.
The Desire Lines call to action is intended to provide an opportunity for a range of organisations across the city to work together to ensure Edinburgh’s future cultural success. The results of this consultation are supposed to help to inform the City of Edinburgh Council’s revision of its cultural policy, but the aspiration behind the project is that the Edinburgh Cultural Promise will provide the framework for city-wide involvement in delivering a set of shared aims.
A discussion session, is planned for Tuesday 19 May at Summerhall, which will consider ideas around a major cultural partnership that unites Edinburgh around the fundamental belief that a creative city is a successful city.
Participants can register attendance here for the event: https://eventbrite.co.uk/event/16770193099/
For more information on Desire Lines www.desirelines.scot
The Call to Action is available to read and download here: http://desirelines.scot/DesireLines_booklet_SCREEN.pdf