Golden Age Theatre’s Testimony, a series of 18 award-winning monologues performed in nine double bills, comes this week to London’s The Hen & Chickens Theatre in Highbury, where it runs for a strictly limited season from 30 June to 10 July 2021. Get booking!
Winner of the Vesuvius International film festival – and banned by YouTube!
The monologues, all written and directed by Golden Age founder and artistic director Ian Dixon Potter, explore a variety of contemporary and historical issues including: toxic masculinity and the ‘me too’ movement, institutional racism, positive discrimination, digital immortality, post-Brexit Britain, culture wars, fake news, conspiracy theory, the causes of genocide, the nature of consciousness, the time travel paradox, issues of mortality, identity and personality, social alienation, gender fluidity, police corruption, what it means to be human and the extent to which we are forced to conform to narrow stereotypes, to label and pigeon-hole ourselves.
“This is a self-created bubble containing many fluid colours. To be allowed a glimpse inside is a rare and intriguing new experience worth seeking. A remarkably purposeful piece of Ian Dixon Potter’s writing” – ★★★★★ Theatre Monkey
The 18 Testimony monologues are:
- Call Back – performed by Diljohn Singh
- Trivial Pursuit – performed by Neil Summerville
- Solitaire – performed by David Vale
- Singularity – performed by Nicolle Smartt
- The New Normal – performed by Kate Carthy
- The Beast – performed by Melanie Thompson
- TransHuman – performed by Thomasin Lockwood
- The Triumph of Evil – performed by Neil Summerville
- Denial – performed by Neil Summerville
- Inside Blue – performed by Jacqui Bardelang
- Love in the Time of Corona – performed by Ivan Comisso
- A Strange Romance – performed by Razvan Suiogan
- Iago – performed by Neil Summerville
- I, Richard – performed by Ivan Comisso
- Marlowe’s Ghost – performed by Mark Shaer
- Infantophobie – performed by Julia Faulkner
- Confession – performed by Neil Summerville
- DNA – performed by Melanie Thompson
The plays feature original music composed and performed by Neil Thompson.
Golden Age is dedicated to creating theatre that explores ‘big ideas’ in both historical and contemporary settings. Recent London outings pre-Covid have included acclaimed plays The Test, Hiding Heidi, Boy Stroke Girl, Tiresia and The Resurrectionist.