Jonathan Church, artistic director of Theatre Royal Bath’s summer season, has announced further productions and new casting for the 2019 programme.
- Katherine Parkinson, Clémence Poésy, Ann Mitchell, John Light, John Standing and Marty Cruickshank to join Rupert Everett in the cast of Uncle Vanya which he also directs
- Janie Dee, Michelle Asante, Aysha Kala and Lewis Reeves to star in the Tony Award-winning comedy Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
- Emma Naomi, Geoffrey Streatfeild, Simon Coates, Lucy Robinson and Rose Wardlaw to join the previously announced Jennifer Saunders and Lisa Dillon in Blithe Spirit
- Vanessa Redgrave will star in Vienna 1934-Munich 1938 which she wrote and directed, joined on stage by Robert Boulter and Paul Hilton
- David Edgar in his professional on-stage debut in Trying It On, directed by Christopher Haydon
- The Man in the White Suit starring Stephen Mangan and Kara Tointon to preview in Bath prior to the West End
- James Kettle’s The Life I Lead, starring Miles Jupp, to play in the main house following a London run
Theatre Royal Bath has announced four additional productions – Vienna 1934-Munich 1938, The Life I Lead, Trying It On and The Man in the White Suit – to complete its summer season 2019 programme and further casting with Katherine Parkinson, Janie Dee as well as Vanessa Redgrave, Miles Jupp and David Edgar among the stars set to take to the stage in both treasured classics and acclaimed new works. The summer season runs from June through to September 2019.
Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
6 June to 6 July 2019 (press night is 12 June)
Tony Award-winning Walter Bobbie directs Christopher Durang’s comedy Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike in the Ustinov Studio to open the Theatre Royal Bath’s summer season 2019 starring Janie Dee, Michelle Asante, Aysha Kala and Lewis Reeves.
14 June to 6 July 2019 (press night is 19 June)
Jennifer Saunders makes her Theatre Royal Bath debut as the preposterous clairvoyant Madame Arcati in Noël Coward’s classic comedy Blithe Spirit. She is joined by Lisa Dillon as Ruth Condomine with Emma Naomi, Geoffrey Streatfeild, Simon Coates, Lucy Robinson and Rose Wardlaw completing the cast. Richard Eyre directs.
Vienna 1934-Munich 1938
11 July to 3 August 2019
Theatre Royal Bath presents a Rose Theatre Kingston production, Vienna 1934 – Munich 1938, A Family Album, written, directed by and starring Vanessa Redgrave in the Ustinov Studio. She will be joined on stage by Robert Boulter and Paul Hilton.
In the late 1930s, the illustrious actor Michael Redgrave became close friends with the celebrated poet Stephen Spender. Through their families’ notebooks, journals and memoirs, and Stephen’s poems, Vanessa Redgrave discovers the love affairs they remembered, and the hopes and fears of a generation that confronted the rise of fascism in Europe.
18 July to 3 August 2019 (press night is 24 July)
Rupert Everett returns to Theatre Royal Bath where he last appeared in The Judas Kiss in 2012 and which went on to transfer to the West End. Everett will direct his first stage play and lead the cast in Anton Chekhov’s theatrical masterpiece Uncle Vanya, in a new version by the playwright and screenwriter David Hare. Further cast includes Katherine Parkinson, Clémence Poésy, Ann Mitchell, John Light, John Standing and Marty Cruickshank, with additional casting to be announced.
The Life I Lead
18 July to 3 August 2019
The Life I Lead sees leading stand-up comedian Miles Jupp bring to life the remarkable story of David Tomlinson, the actor best remembered for his performance as Mr Banks in the classic Disney film Mary Poppins. Didi Hopkins and Selina Cadell direct.
Trying It On
3 September to 7 September 2019
After 50 years of writing, Trying It On marks playwright and contemporary political commentator David Edgar’s professional debut as a performer in thisdeliberation on how, why and whether our opinions change in the course of time. The production is directed by Christopher Haydon.
The Man in the White Suit
6 September to 21 September 2019
Stephen Mangan and Kara Tointon will star in the world premiere of the classic Ealing comedy The Man in the White Suit which previews in Bath prior to a West End transfer. It is adapted for the stage by Sean Foley, based on the play The Flower Within the Bud by Roger MacDougall and the screenplay by Roger MacDougall, John Dighton and Alexander Mackendrick.