The Lyric Hammersmith Theatre has announced its 2022 Season, bringing together a brand new festival celebrating Black excellence and culture, the debut play by new writer Sian Carter in a new partnership with Talawa Theatre Company directed by Michael Buffong, a Mike Bartlett world premiere directed by Rachel O’Riordan, a major London revival of Patrick Marber’s Closer directed by Clare Lizzimore, Timberlake Wertenbaker’s adaptation of Britannicus directed by Atri Banerjee, a radical modern retelling of Hedda Gabler by Roy Williams directed by Ola Ince, and Amici Dance Theatre Company’s 40th-anniversary production One World: Wealth of the Common People.
Combining re-lensed classics and cutting-edge contemporary work, the Lyric 2022 season presents exceptional plays examining power, love and loyalty, looking deeper into the themes that permeate today’s society.
Rachel O’Riordan, Artistic Director of Lyric Hammersmith Theatre said:
“We are so proud and excited to be able to share this season with our audience. This past 18 months has been tough for our industry; theatre has felt vulnerable, as has our society. We are in a period of change and of shift; and at times like this, theatre is vital. The season we shared with you in 2019, my first season as Artistic Director of the Lyric, demonstrated our ambition and our passion. This current season builds on that and also responds to where we are now. The writers and directors whose work will be shared with you in our beautiful auditorium are bold, thrilling, artists. We look forward to welcoming the wider creative teams, actors and audiences to the Lyric, at the heart of West London. It is good to be back.”
Highlights of the season include:
- For the Culture – Celebrations of Blackness launches the 2022 season in January with a multi-art form festival honouring Blackness through art, performance, conversation, love and joy, curated by Dr Peggy Brunache, Tinuke Craig and Nicholai La Barrie
- A new partnership between the Lyric and Talawa Theatre Company – a co-production of Running with Lions by emerging writer Sian Carter directed by Talawa Artistic Director Michael Buffong opens in February 2022
- The world premiere of Mike Bartlett’s comedy for the new restoration of the theatres, Scandaltown, directed by Lyric Hammersmith Theatre Artistic Director Rachel O’Riordan premieres in April 2022
- Timberlake Wertenbaker’s adaptation of Jean Racine’s Roman tragedy Britannicus directed by Atri Banerjee explores monarchy, succession and divinity, from 26 May 2022
- Young Lyric partner and disability-inclusive professional dance company, Amici Dance Theatre Company celebrate their 40th anniversary with One World: Wealth of the Common People, bringing together an 80-strong cast on the Lyric main stage from 29 June – 02 July 2022
- For Summer 2022, Patrick Marber’s Olivier Award-winning Closer receives a major London revival directed by Clare Lizzimore, opening in July 2022
- Ola Ince will direct Roy Williams’ new play Heather, a modern adaptation of Henrik Ibsen’s Hedda Gabler in Autumn, from 29 September 2022