The Royal Court Theatre has today announced new season of work for autumn/winter 2017/18. The programme includes five world premieres, five international playwrights from Argentina, Chile, Syria, Ukraine & US, the return of a landmark Royal Court play, a body of work in Tottenham and Pimlico, series two of Playwright’s Podcasts and a major five-year scheme for 25 trainees funded by The Sackler Trust.
The productions – in chronological order – are as follows. Casting to be announced:
- MINEFIELD by Lola Arias returns to the Royal Court in a Royal Court Theatre/LIFT co-production after a sold out run at the theatre in 2016. It will run in the Jerwood Theatre Downstairs from Thursday 2 November 2017 – Saturday 11 November 2017.
- Ukrainian playwright Natal’ya Vorozhbit returns to the Royal Court with the world premiere of BAD ROADS, translated by Sasha Dugdale directed by Royal Court Artistic Director Vicky Featherstone in the Jerwood Theatre Upstairs, Wednesday 15 November 2017 – Saturday 23 December 2017.
- World premiere of GOATS by Syrian playwright Liwaa Yazji, translated by Katharine Halls and directed by Royal Court Associate Director Hamish Pirie in the Jerwood Theatre Downstairs, Friday 24 November 2017 – Saturday 30 December 2017.
- American playwright Julia Jarcho makes her Royal Court debut with the UK premiere of award-winning play GRIMLY HANDSOME. Production created by Royal Court Associate Director (International) Sam Pritchard and Royal Court Associate Designer Chloe Lamford in The Site, Wednesday 6 December 2017 – Saturday 23 December 2017. See full details here.
- MY MUM’S A TWAT the debut play by the Court’s head of press Anoushka Warden, directed by Vicky Featherstone in the Jerwood Theatre Upstairs Monday 8 January 2018 – Saturday 20 January 2018. See full details here.
- Following a UK tour, Andrea Dunbar’s landmark play RITA, SUE AND BOB TOO, directed by Max Stafford-Clark, will run in the Jerwood Theatre Downstairs, Tuesday 9 January 2018 – Saturday 27 January 2018. In collaboration with Out of Joint and Octagon Theatre Bolton. See full details here.
- Simon Longman makes his debut at the Royal Court with GUNDOG directed by Vicky Featherstone in the Jerwood Theatre Upstairs, Wednesday 31 January 2018 – Saturday 10 March 2018. See full details here.
- Dennis Kelly returns to the Royal Court with the world premiere of GIRLS & BOYS directed by Lyndsey Turner in the Jerwood Theatre Downstairs, Thursday 8 February 2018 – Saturday 10 March 2018. See full details here.
- BLACK MEN WALKING by Testament directed by Dawn Walton in an Eclipse Theatre Company and Royal Exchange Theatre co-production in the Jerwood Theatre Upstairs, Wednesday 21 March 2018 – Saturday 7 April 2018. See full details here.
After three years of collaboration, the Royal Court Theatre’s BEYOND THE COURT programme working in Tottenham and Pimlico concludes with events across the boroughs and in Sloane Square this autumn. See full details here.
This autumn Royal Court Theatre will release the second series of PLAYWRIGHT’S PODCAST with playwrights interviewed by Royal Court Associate Playwright Simon Stephens. See full details here.
The Sackler Trust has renewed its support for a further five years to secure 25 individuals with year-long behind-the-scenes trainee placements at the Royal Court as part of the theatre’s ongoing commitment to create fair, open entry routes to arts employment. See full details here.
The international plays being produced in this season, which also includes previously announced Chilean playwright Guillermo Calderón’s B translated by William Gregory in September 2017 has been commissioned and developed through the Royal Court’s longstanding work with writers in countries across the world, supported by the Genesis Foundation.