Flashdance – The Musical returns to the UK for the first time since 2011 starring Strictly favourite Joanne Clifton and singer-songwriter Ben Adams, and will arrive at Glasgow King’s Theatre on 05 August 2017 prior to an extensive UK tour. For full details of tour venues and dates, visit www.flashdanceuktour.co.uk
Strictly Come Dancing Champion Joanne Clifton is no stranger to being at the top, as she is also a World & European Champion ballroom dancer, and is one of very few pro dancers to have won both the main Strictly glitter ball with Ore Oduba last year and the Christmas Special in 2015 with Harry Judd.
Joanne made her musical theatre debut in the role of Streetwalker in the UK premiere of the Irving Berlin musical Face The Music, for which she was nominated for an Off West End Award. She followed this up with a turn as Marilyn Monroe in the Norma Jeane Musical and then tread the boards as Millie Dillmount in the No. 1 UK Tour of Thoroughly Modern Millie for which she garnered rave reviews.
She is now excited to take on her latest starring role as Alex Owens in the UK Tour of Flashdance. Joanne says,
“This is just another dream come true! I think everyone in the world whether dancer or non-dancer, as soon as they hear ‘What a Feeling’, remember that iconic scene at the end of the film and I’m so incredibly lucky that I get to do that every night in a UK TOUR along with fabulous numbers like “She’s a Maniac.” I’m over the moon! It’s another amazing opportunity in my musical theatre career and I can once again sing and act alongside dancing! I just hope the water’s not too cold when it falls on me!’
Ben Adams who will join Joanne on stage as Nick Hurley has been singing and performing since the age of 8. His career started as head chorister at St. Margaret’s, Westminster Abbey, singing at royal weddings, touring all over Europe, recording 2 classical albums and frequently singing for the likes of the queen and the pope. At 16, he became the lead singer of the band a1, who racked up 10 million record sales, 2 UK number ones, 5 studio albums and toured throughout the world, winning a Brit award among many others.
When the band split, Ben took to the studio and is now a successful song writer and producer, working with the likes of Robin Thicke, Craig David, JLS, Ward Thomas, Sam Bailey, Boyzone and Alexandra Burke to name but a few. He also reached the final of Celebrity Big Brother, the Norwegian version of Strictly Come Dancing, and Master Chef in Denmark. As well as writing for other artists, he went straight to number 1 in the itunes charts with his classical album titled One Beautiful Mourning. His first solo album 1981 will be launched early 2018.
In 2010, a1 reformed and having successfully completed stadium tours in Asia and 68 sold out arena concerts across Europe, they starred in The Big Reunion on ITV2 and played arenas across the country. They continue to tour throughout the world.
Ben has also written a brand-new musical called ‘EUGENIUS!’ Which after a sold-out London Palladium performance, is set to hit the West End stage next year.
Ben says of taking to the stage in Flashdance:
“It’s amazing to be part of such an iconic story, and as an 80’s child I was brought up on this music so I couldn’t be happier playing Nick in the theatre production of Flashdance. Whilst I continue with my own music career and touring with a1, Musical Theatre has always been a real passion of mine, so to be asked to play this role, and to be working with such an amazing cast and crew is a real honour. I look forward to seeing you all out on the road in the coming months”
Additional cast includes: Colin Kiyani, Rikki Chamberlain, Garry Lee Netley, Carol Ball, Sia Dauda, Hillie Ann Lowe, Simeon Beckett, Rhodri Watkins, Demmileigh Foster, Emily Kenwright, Ameila Rose Fielding, Alex Christian, Matt Concannon
Flashdance – The Musical tells the inspiring and unforgettable story of 18-year-old Alex, a welder by day and ‘flashdancer’ by night, who dreams of going to the prestigious Shipley Dance Academy and becoming a professional dancer. When a romance complicates her ambitions, she harnesses it to drive her dream.
Prepare to be blown away with an astonishing musical spectacle and phenomenal choreography to this iconic score, including the smash hits Maniac, Manhunt, Gloria, I Love Rock & Roll and the award-winning title track Flashdance – What a Feeling.
Based on the Paramount Pictures film (Screenplay by Tom Hedley and Joe Eszterhas, story by Tom Hedley) Flashdance is an inspiring musical about the power of holding onto your dreams and love against all odds. Flashdance proved a hit with audiences, and remained in the Top 10 Box Office in the States for 15 weeks after release. The original score also proved hugely popular, with the soundtrack album selling 700,000 copies within two weeks of release. The platinum selling hit title track Flashdance – What A Feeling won both an Academy Award and a Golden Globe in 1983, with the soundtrack winning the Grammy Award for Best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or a Television Special in 1984.
Presented by Selladoor Productions – producers of Footloose, Avenue Q and Little Shop of Horrors and Runaway Entertainment producers of In The Heights, Guys and Dolls and Lazarus, Flashdance – The Musical is not to be missed!
Take your passion and make it happen! Book now at www.flashdanceuktour.co.uk
Cast includes Joanne Clifton and Ben Adams:
- KING’S THEATRE, Glasgow – 05 AUGUST – 12 AUGUST 2017
- ABERWYSWTH ARTS CENTRE, Aberystwyth – 16 AUGUST – 26 AUGUST 2017
- MAYFLOWER THEATRE, Southampton – 06 SEPTEMBER – 09 SEPTEMBER 2017
- EMPIRE THEATRE, Sunderland – 11 SEPTEMBER – 16 SEPTEMBER 2017
- NEW THEATRE, Oxford – 18 SEPTEMBER – 23 SEPTEMBER 2017
- REGENT THEATRE, Stoke 25 SEPTEMBER – 30 SEPTEMBER 2017
- NEW THEATRE, Wimbledon – 02 OCTOBER – 07 OCTOBER 2017
- DARTFORD ORCHARD THEATRE, Dartford – 09 OCTOBER – 14 OCTOBER 2017
- EMPIRE THEATRE, Liverpool – 16 OCTOBER – 21 OCTOBER 2017
- BLACKPOOL OPERA HOUSE, Blackpool – 23 OCTOBER – 04 NOVEMBER 2017
- CHESTERFIELD WINDING WHEEL, Chesterfield – 08 NOVEMBER – 11 NOVEMBER 2017
- ASSEMBLY HALL THEATRE, Tunbridge Wells – 13 NOVEMBER – 18 NOVEMBER 2017
- AYLESBURY WATERSIDE THEATRE, Aylesbury – 20 NOVEMBER – 25 NOVEMBER 2017
- OPERA HOUSE, York – 27 NOVEMBER – 02 DECEMBER 2017
- ALEXANDRA THEATRE, Birmingham – 04 DECEMBER – 09 DECEMBER 2017
- PLAYHOUSE THEATRE, Edinburgh 15 JANUARY – 20 JANUARY 2018
- CHELTENHAM EVERYMAN THEATRE – 29 JANUARY – 03 FEBURARY 2018
- CARDIFF NEW THEATRE – 05 FEBRUARY – 10 FEBRUARY 2018 – ON SALE SOON
- PALACE THEATRE, Manchester – 12 FEBRUARY – 17 FEBRUARY 2018
- VICTORIA THEATRE, Woking – 19 FEBRUARY – 24 FEBRUARY 2018
- PRINCESS THEATRE, Torquay – 26 FEBRUARY – 03 MARCH 2018
- BRIDLINGTON SPA – 12 MARCH – 17 MARCH 2018
- DERRY MILLENNIUM FORUM, Derry- 19 MARCH – 24 MARCH 2018
- DEMONTFORT THEATRE, Leicester – 26 MARCH – 31 MARCH 2018
- ALHAMBRA THEATRE, Bradford – 03 APRIL – 07 APRIL 2018
- THEATRE ROYAL, Brighton – 09 APRIL – 14 APRIL 2018
- THEATRE ROYAL, Nottingham – 07 MAY – 12 MAY 2018
- PORTSMOUTH KINGS THEATRE – 14 MAY – 19 MAY 2018 – ON SALE SOON
- THE SANDS CENTRE, Carlisle – 21 MAY – 26 MAY 2018
- EXETER NORTHCOTT THEATRE – 28 MAY – 02 JUNE 2018
- MARLOWE THEATRE, Canterbury – 18 JUNE – 23 JUNE 2018
- HIPPODROME, Bristol – 25 JUNE – 30 JUNE 2018
- MILTON KEYNES THEATRE – 16 JULY – 21 JULY 2018
- SHEFFIELD LYCEUM – 06 AUGUST – 11 AUGUST 208 – ON SALE SOON
Further dates to be announced.