WICKED, the West End and Broadway musical phenomenon that tells the incredible untold story of the Witches of Oz, is delighted to confirm that its spectacular, multi record-breaking and critically acclaimed touring production will return to the UK & Ireland in 2018, revisiting the following ten cities:
- BRISTOL Hippodrome, Tuesday 5 February – Saturday 3 March 2018
- LIVERPOOL Empire, Wednesday 7 – Saturday 31 March 2018
- BIRMINGHAM Hippodrome, Wednesday 4 – Sunday 29 April 2018
- EDINBURGH Playhouse, Tuesday 8 May – Saturday 9 June 2018
- LEEDS Grand Theatre, Wednesday 13 June – Saturday 7 July 2018
- DUBLIN Bord Gáis Energy Theatre, Tuesday 17 July – Sunday 26 August 2018
- SUNDERLAND Empire, Tuesday 4 – Saturday 29 September 2018
- SOUTHAMPTON Mayflower Theatre, Wednesday 3 – Saturday 27 October 2018
- CARDIFF Wales Millennium Centre, Wednesday 31 October – Saturday 24 November 2018
- MANCHESTER Palace Theatre, Tuesday 4 December 2018 – Saturday 5 January 2019
Acclaimed as “one of the greatest musicals of our time” (Daily Mail), “a wicked and wonderful vision of Oz” (London Evening Standard) and “one of the West End’s true modern classics” (Metro), WICKED is already the 17th longest running show in London theatre history and recently celebrated a decade of performances at the Apollo Victoria Theatre, where it continues an open-ended run. Around the world, WICKED has now been seen by over 50 million people in 15 countries, and won over 100 major awards (including 3 Tony Awards and 6 Drama Desk Awards on Broadway; 2 Olivier Audience Awards, 9 WhatsOnStage Awards and an Evening Standard Theatre Award in London; 6 Helpmann Awards in Australia and a Grammy Award).
WICKED played a fifteen-city tour of the UK & Ireland from September 2013 – July 2015, winning five-star rave reviews at every venue. The production, acclaimed by the Northern Echo as “the ultimate Broadway experience for theatre audiences all over the UK”, resumed touring in July 2016, playing a sold out engagement at the Alhambra Theatre in Bradford and is currently playing in Hong Kong and opens at The Theatre at Solaire in Manila on 2 February. Prior to returning to the UK & Ireland, WICKED will also play engagements in Shanghai and Beijing.
Based on the acclaimed, best-selling novel by Gregory Maguire that ingeniously re-imagines the stories and characters created by L. Frank Baum in ‘The Wonderful Wizard of Oz’, Wicked tells the incredible untold story of an unlikely but profound friendship between two sorcery students. Their extraordinary adventures in Oz will ultimately see them fulfil their destinies as Glinda The Good and the Wicked Witch of the West.
WICKED has music and lyrics by multi Grammy and Academy Award-winner Stephen Schwartz (Godspell and Disney’s Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Enchanted) and is based on the novel ‘Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West’ by Gregory Maguire and adapted for the stage by Winnie Holzman. Musical staging is by Tony Award-winner Wayne Cilento and the production is directed by two-time Tony Award-winner Joe Mantello.
WICKED is produced around the world by Marc Platt, Universal Stage Productions, The Araca Group, Jon B. Platt and David Stone. Executive Producer (UK/International Tour) Michael McCabe.