December can be a slightly overwhelming time to pick a show to go and see – luckily Love London Love Culture has selected seven of the very best opening next month…
1. Striking 12, Union Theatre: Inspired by Hans Christian Andersen’s The Little Matchgirl and featuring a pop, rock and jazz score, this Off-Broadway musical arrives in London for the Christmas season. The production stars Declan Bennett and Bronté Barbé.
2. A Christmas Carol, Old Vic Theatre: Being Christmas time, you can expect plenty of productions based around the classic Charles Dickens story – but the Old Vic production proved very popular last year and so returns once more. Jack Thorne’s version of the festive story this year stars Stephen Tompkinson as Scrooge – so make sure you book your tickets!
3. Fiddler on the Roof, Menier Chocolate Factory: The Menier’s festive musical treat this year is a brand new production of Fiddler on the Roof, directed by Trevor Nunn.
4. True West, Vaudeville Theatre: For those after something a little bit different, why not check out Kit Harington and Johnny Flynn in a new production of Sam Shepard’s acclaimed drama?
5. Peter Pan, Park Theatre: This year, the Park Theatre will present a production of J.M.Barrie’s classic story of the boy who wouldn’t grow up. Directed by Jonathan O’Boyle, the cast includes Alexander Vlahos, best known for playing Philippe, Duke of Orleans in Versailles and Mordred in BBC drama Merlin, as Captain Hook alongside exciting newcomer Nickcolia King-N’Da as Peter Pan.
6. The Band, Theatre Royal Haymarket: This popular touring musical arrives in the West End for a limited season only. Featuring the songs of Take That such as ‘Never Forget’ and ‘Back For Good’, Take That fans will not want to miss this.
7. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Piccadilly Theatre: Back in London for a strictly limited time only, this critically acclaimed National Theatre production based on Mark Haddon’s book is well worth catching if you haven’t seen it before.