Here’s Love London Love Culture’s guide to some of the shows to look out for during August… if you aren’t heading to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
1. Othello, Shakespeare’s Globe: Now in previews at the theatre, this production is directed by Claire van Kampen. This production includes an impressive cast list such as Olivier Award winner Sheila Atim and Oscar winner Mark Rylance, to bring Shakespeare’s chilling and gripping tragedy to life.
2. The Importance of Being Earnest, Vaudeville Theatre: This final production in Classic Spring’s Oscar Wilde season is set to star Sophie Thompson as Lady Bracknell, Jeremy Swift as Reverend Chasuble and Sinéad Matthews as Gwendolyn Fairfax. The production is directed by Michael Fentiman and is set to officially open in the West End on 2 August 2018.
3. Little Shop of Horrors, Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre: The next production to take over the Open Air Theatre will begin previews on 3 August 2018, directed by Maria Aberg. This new revival of the musical is set to star Jemima Rooper and Matt Willis as Audrey and Orin respectively.
4. Emilia, Shakespeare’s Globe: Heading back to the Globe, Nicole Charles directs this production to bring to life the world of Emilia Bassano who was the first woman to have a book of poetry published. It is a world premiere production and it will reveal her life as a mother feminist and poet.
5. The Rise and Fall of Little Voice, Park Theatre: The Park Theatre is reviving Jim Cartwright’s play directed by Tom Latter and starring Sally George, Rafaella Hutchinson, Linford Johnson, Kevin McMonagle, Jamie Rose Monk and Shaun Prendergast. It officially opens at the Park Theatre on 21 August 2018.
6. Club Swizzle, Roundhouse: From the creators of La Soiree comes this new cabaret show filled with circus and comedy acts but with a twist. This is the European premiere for the show and features acts from across the globe such as burlesque performer Laurie Hagen, the impeccable jazz and Big Band triple threat, Harlem’s own Dandy Wellington, and aerialist Yammel Rodriguez.