2016 has been an interesting year for theatre and as reviewer you have to take the rough with the smooth. I’ve personally seen 74 productions this year including some repeat visits, so how do I then pick just ten shows for a top 10?
I initially set up my website to champion Off-West End productions and new writing so for me it’s often that it’s not necessarily the size of the show, it’s how long after the event I’m still thinking about it, the impact it has had on me. With this in mind, below are my choices, in reverse order:
10. The Rise and Fall of Little Voice, the Union Theatre
9. Savage, Above the Arts Theatre
8. Through The Mill, Southwark Playhouse
7. Half A Sixpence, Noel Coward Theatre
6. ’27’ The Rise Of A Falling Star, Cockpit Theatre
5. Fool For Love, Found111
4. Allegro, Southwark Playhouse
3. Aladdin, Prince Edward Theatre
2. Rent, St James Theatre
1. Ragtime, Charing Cross Theatre
The ones that got away were:
- American Idiot
- Sunset Boulevard
- In The Heights
- An Inspector Calls
- Blanc De Blanc
- The Fix
All of the above moved me and had I not limited myself to just ten would have most certainly been there. And of course my repeat visits to Jersey Boys speak volumes.
A great year for theatre and thanks to all of you who have visited my site during 2016 I hope to see you again in 2017.